This Page

has been moved to new address

Focus on 2010

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Notes from Underneath: Focus on 2010

Notes from Underneath

A California girl in Chilsters (that's Chile to you)

Thursday, December 31, 2009

 

Focus on 2010

There are five major tasks I have present in my mind for 2010 and I hope to embark, enjoy and excel at all five of them. (No pressure.) I'm not going to call them resolutions because I feel that I'll just be setting myself up for failure (and nothing depresses me more than failure) but I'd like to consider them as chapters of 2010. What I write in each chapter will literally be relayed in my blog but will also write a chapter in my life that I hope I can call "satisfactory" in 12 more months. Mentioning it in my blog now will only help me in determining how I approached and conquered each area.

1) Wedding and marriage.

For the love of all that's sacred and holy, I just hope I have time to enjoy and appreciate all the planning and all the money Gonzalo and I are currently putting into our wedding day. Sometimes I don't fully get the scope of the fact that I'm planning all this for me - for us. In fact, I see that I still handle it in the most corporate of ways, as if planning something for a boss. Case in point, I capture all images/ideas/suggestions in power point presentations and review them with G slide by slide. Discuss. Or don't since it's kind of pathetic/weird but whatever, it's efficient. I can't imagine what it will look like or how I'll feel that very day but I do hope that I have time to sit back, if even for a mere minute, and take it all in.
Wedding day aside, I do hope I'm good at the marriage part. I'm dabbling in it right now (some would call it living in sin, muahahaha) and here's what I've noticed about my part in married life: 1) I like to cook 2) I really do run the house 3) I need to work on my listening skills 4) I need to let others form - and express - their opinions before I go blabbing mine about 5) More hugs needed! Warm fuzzies if you will. They just make all things better. 6) Need to make sure that we keep up the spontaneous date nights/days. So far, so good with that just need to make sure it keeps up.

2) Friendships
"Some of you I know; some of you I'm meeting for the first time." (movie line, guess the movie and character). With that, I want to keep cementing the friendships that are forming now with people I've met in Chile BUT I'd also like to branch out and meet new people. Namely, I'd like to see about clicking with some Chileans. Weird concept, I know, given that it hasn't been easy thus far. I blame my lack of outside activity (I work from home) but I'll get to new opportunities for that in a bit. Or...wait. At least I'd like to blame my lack of outside activity and NOT think that I'm not clicking with Chileans because it's me, not them.
With that, I can't forget my peeps back home. Before I left CA I had an idea of who I would remain good friends with always ... but those things change and some people are really "out of sight, out of mind." That's their M.O. and God love them for it. There are others who remain the same people and the same kind of friend as before. And there are yet others who charge ahead in the friendship arena and come out shining as a friend you never thought you'd have. I'll reserve public op/eds on the three types of friends that evolve when one moves to another country but I will say that no matter what, I hope to be a good and present friend to all my peeps back home.

3) Back to School
I submitted my application to return to school for a Masters in Marketing. If all goes according to plan, I should be starting classes in April of next year (yeah, as in the same month I get married.) By then, it will have been a full ten years since I graduated undergrad and that's pushing it since I truly believe I checked out in 1999 and sort of skimmed through my last two quarters of college (a teacher once wrote "Senoritis?? Too bad" on a term paper that year. That's how awesome I was!) My point here is that I hope I don't freak out, I hope I learn to navigate the system well...and I hope the Spanish part of the studying doesn't throw me off. I would like to avoid any kind of indication of "Senioritis" from a professor during my Masters study, if at all possible.
Who am I kidding? This is going to be one intimidating mess for me but I hope I persevere and come out with a good education. AND, it would be quite nice to come out with at least one, if not two, friends. I'll be OUT THERE, in the Chilean system, learning from them about their ways (in marketing). Kind of "when in Rome" ... so my hope is to grab on to some would-be friends in that process. Now that I think about it, I should be hoping I have something interesting to contribute in the study groups I'll be in. No one wants to be the dumb one in study group.

4) Writing
A few days ago I was a lady who lunched (with some other fellow gringas) and one of them asked me what I had gone to undergrad for, meaning what did I study. I realized that back in the day all I wanted to be was a journalist. I even wrote for my high school newspaper and was editor of the "social" section. I went to Davis for a degree in Communications with the purpose of pursuing this journalistic goal ... that of course didn't pan out bc I took a different route during the dot com bubble. That office job led to another office job and before I knew it, journalism fizzled. Perhaps I would have been a kick ass journalist. Perhaps it's my parallel life a la the indie movie Sliding Doors. Maybe I'd be living in New York, working as an international correspondent for CNN. Oh my...me likey that...Ok snap back to reality and obviously that's not the route I took BUT what has stayed with me nonstop is the thing that motivated me from day one - writing. Skits for school, short stories, poems, diaries and now a blog - I simply can't live my life without some part of it dedicated to writing. I do hope that in 2010 this writing becomes more focused. I have always dreamed of writing a story somewhat based on my family story, a mind-boggling one that is made for Lifetime television for women. When I read Isabel Allende's "The House of the Spirits" I thought to myself "I know this family. Oh wait! This is like MY family and their story." Except mine is less whimsical and more dramatic. Trust me it would make for some great poolside reading. Will I ever get to it? I don't know. But I hope to always be on the writing path that may allow me to stumble upon this story that's just waiting to be told.

5) Co-Baller

I actually coined this term the other day while I was lunching (the same lunch referenced above. Don't think I spend my days lunching like a proper Southern woman. I don't, though of course I wish I did!) The point I was making was that I too wanted to be a baller... meaning I hope to be very successful in my career so as to afford comforts that I didn't have the majority of my life. I have dreams I'd like to see become reality and goals I'd like to achieve. Perhaps some of these dreams and goals would seem superficial and materialistic to some while to others, they will seem like basic goals anyone should be striving towards. When I was in the U.S. I felt like I was on a path to making that happen. I went to school, got good grades, went to college, did the internships, extra-curricular activities, got a job, focused, got promoted, focused more, got promoted again, etc. A masters degree was in the back of my mind but since I was already a director at my company, it wasn't pressing. I knew the path, I knew the in's and out's of working in the U.S. and knew basically what I had to do in order to get ahead in the corporate world. Now I'm in a completely different country and though the basic how-to's are probably the same, I'm in a completely different playing field, with completely different players. I see it as starting all over again (though perhaps not from the VERY bottom as I was back in the day, straight out of college). And so, in 2010, I hope to regain my footing on my way to being a co-baller (by "co" I mean alongside G because to me, he's already a baller.) I hope I begin to understand what's needed to get there in Chile and that I learn what it even LOOKS like in Chile. That way I can put my eye on the prize and just work towards it. I feel confident that I'll achieve this, as I think going back to further my education will help immensely. Nothing like preparing yourself for battle, so to speak, on the same turf where one will be battling. I should come out much more aware and I hope to focus on that in 2010.

My focus list can't be too long though or I might just call it a day and not get anything done. I'll for sure dabble in trying to be healthy and being in prime physical condition but I won't kid myself into thinking I'll become one of those crazy, workout obsessed brides-to-be. That just ain't me, baby. So let's just say I have 5.5 things to focus on in 2010 and I'll be back in about 364 days to review this post and see how far I've come. I'll trust that I'll have conquered the world by then as my plans for world domination are coming along nicely.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
On your wedding day, I'll be there to remind you to sit back, take a deep breath and really take it all in.

I'm multi-faceted, part photographer, part bridal cheerleader :)
 
This is so great and inspiring! I really need to make some kind of a 2010 list like this. I also love your new blog look! It's super chick and classy. : ) It sounds like you're doing good, and I love reading your blog and hearing about all your loves and mishaps and whatnot. Happy New Year friend!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]