This Page

has been moved to new address

Patience in the land of the impatient

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Notes from Underneath: Patience in the land of the impatient

Notes from Underneath

A California girl in Chilsters (that's Chile to you)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

 

Patience in the land of the impatient

I know I'm going to age myself here yet again, but there's a commercial I remember from 1987 (when I was 10, mind you) for Heinz Ketchup (note that in searching for this video I just now realized that that the actor in it is Matt LeBlanc. Who knew?)



Don't ask me why, but from the first time I ever saw this commercial, I took note of the message and have constantly reminded myself of this tried and true cliche over and over again. Seems rather heavy that a 10-year old would take to heart such a sophisticated message and further, that said 10-year old was able to see past its use in a commercial advertising the thickness of ketchup. I can't say that many things (experiences or people) have truly shaped my life, but believe it or not, as weird as it sounds, this commercial really did shape my ideology, at least in some aspects, and sort of gave me this comforting philosophy I could grab on to whenever I was feeling anxious or desperate for something to happen NOW.

So you can just imagine what it feels like for me to live in a country where it would seem that the general population lives their life going against the grain of this message.

For instance, the manner in which most Chileans drive. I've seen it all, really. Running red lights, swerving around pedestrians crossing the street - so close that the car actually rubs against them, needing to make a right hand turn at the next light but too impatient to wait their turn so they get into the left hand lane to zoom past the line of waiting cars, only to block traffic as they try to turn right FROM THE LEFT HAND LANE. All this sh*t annoys me and I fight with people constantly (from the safety of my car with windows rolled up, naturally). But one of the things that bothers me the most (aside from the 92% of Chileans thinking that turning on their hazard lights all of a sudden gives them the right to stop ANYWHERE on the road), is to see a car that is driving behind me at a comfortable pace, suddenly speed up to go around me only to fit him/herself SNUGLY in front of me and continue driving. WTF? I seriously wish I could ask the person what the motivation is behind doing something so.lame. He didn't gain any distance on me, nor did he find himself with tons of road in front of him giving him a chance to gun it down the road. All I can conclude is that, to him, it's all about doing things quickly, getting sh*t done, no matter how he goes about it. Therefore, shaving the four seconds he gained by going around me, makes him feel like king of the world. If he's in such a hurry, how 'bout leaving the house earlier, buddy? Novel thought. So as you can imagine, I end up driving behind this dumb a** a pretty long while... until he decides he needs to make a right hand turn so he gets into the left hand lane in order to get there sooner.

Also, there's the quick fixes applied to any and all things. If something breaks around the house, a heater, a lamp, the tv - what have you, the first part of the solution doesn't involve taking it in for repair, or even considering buying a new item. The first option, because it's the quickest, is to try to fix it yourself. Duct tape here, a nail and hammer there, a little rewiring here and pretty soon the thing is "as good as new." Of course this comes with a price, such as only being able to plug it in to the wall from the outlet in the bathroom ("the electrical current in there is lighter" - probably from a fix-it job on the light fixture back in the day), or the having to watch tv at an angle or something because the pressure to left helps align the collapsed tube inside. The same item will probably go through about two to three rounds of home fixes before its decided that it was too old anyway and that a new one is in order. In my world, the moral of this story is that sacrificing a little time at home without the broken item and allowing someone more qualified to actually take a looskie and fix it, would probably have resulted in quicker turn-around AND money saved. But, that's just me.

Yesterday after class, when I arrived at my parked car in the school's parking lot, I realized that the person who parked next to me had parked at an angle, completely blocking my entrance into the car. You know, so that I had to open the passenger door and climb in that way. No, he/she hadn't scraped my car or even remotely touched it, but in a technique I'll never truly grasp, he/she managed to park the dumb car about an inch away from mine. I'm not even going to try and assemble the math involved with accomplishing such a feat, but it REALLY.PISSED.ME.OFF. But let me tell you why ... this person, like me, had class on Tuesday mornings, maybe even had class all day long. Like me, this person had to get up super early, fight traffic, fight the crazies who make right hand turns from the left hand lane, dodge pedestrians, go around the hazard-light-using lame-O's who stop in the middle of a busy intersection, and all the countless things that make driving in Chile hazardous to one's health. So what gives? Running late I guess and in running late, arriving to find that the parking lot closest to campus is full, except for this one, teeny, tiny, cramped spot next to my car. ANY NORMAL person who wouldn't mind parking just a little further away would rationalize that in parking their car in this teeny, tiny spot, the person next to them (me, in this case) wouldn't be able to get out. Of course we now know that this f*cktard didn't rationalize and parked there anyway. I can forgive that he/she might have overslept and because of this was running late. I can understand that he/she might have been faced with a nana who also arrived late at home and couldn't leave the baby alone until she arrived. I can relate to a car that didn't start until about the 5th attempt. WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND and what I CAN'T FORGIVE is the imprudence and stupidity that erupts from being impatient! Because this person was late and couldn't be bothered with taking an additional 30 seconds to park just a little farther where there were more spots available, he/she decided to remain close, park in the glove-compartment of a spot which left me crawling through my car to reach the driver's seat. God forbid he/she actually walked through the scenario.

Naturally, I left them a note on the windshield. It read:

"Hey Partner,
Did you bother to see how you parked? You left me with no room to get into my car and I have to now crawl in through the passenger side. What's the matter with you? Where did you learn to drive? Iraq?
You're about as ridiculous as they come."

Here's what went through my mind right before writing this note. "It's almost 2 pm. I'm really hungry. The drive to my house will take about 40 minutes and I have to go to the ATM first. I should hurry up because I need to get to work AND I need to take my dog out. Plus I have a test on Tuesday and I'm so behind on reading. I should really get going."
However, I decided to take the two minutes it took me to open my notebook, find a blank sheet, whip out the writing instrument, write this note in ALL ITS GLORY, rip the sheet out and place it on his/her windshield; put everything away, close my school bag, walk around the car, crawl into my seat and drive off.

Smug? Yes. Unnecessary? Maybe. Satisfying? Hell yeah.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
LOVED this post. I don't drive in Stgo, and thank god I don't because I think having to deal with Stgo drivers would be the thing to send me over the edge.

Your note was awesome. I'm glad you took the time to write it and then share it here.
 
I am so glad that I don't drive in Santiago!! Yuck!! My husband, his dad, and two uncles are taxi drivers. Out of all of them I prefer to ride with my husband second to his uncle when the baby is in the car. People in Santiago are always in a hurry when going to work or what have you, but then at the end of the week when they are supposed to meet you to go out, they will show up 3 hours after the time they told you. Sigh. I'm glad you wrote the note, but really I would have kicked in a tail light...
 
I always find that my problems with people here come back to the root cause that as a general rule, Chileans don't think about how their actions affect others. Drives me up the freaking wall.

Your note, however, makes me happy.
 
That happened to me once; some muppet in one of those ridiculous Ford F150s in Santiago totally blocked me from getting into my car like a normal person. S/he, of course, left ample room to get out of their own driver's side door.

I backed out with my window down and a key etching a pretty pattern in the moron's paintwork. Much more effective than a note :)
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]