This Page

has been moved to new address

Why I hate Lan Chile

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Notes from Underneath: Why I hate Lan Chile

Notes from Underneath

A California girl in Chilsters (that's Chile to you)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

 

Why I hate Lan Chile

This dumb airline has been the biggest thorn in my side since moving to Chile. LONG GONE are the days of safe, reliable and feasible commercial flight alternatives such as Southwest, Jet Blue and Virgin.

Sure, there's random airlines like Sky, but they certainly don't get me where I want to go most of the time (namely outside of Santiago.) Southwest and the other airlines I mentioned didn't do that either but at least they gave me options to get to ANOTHER major city, where, nine times out of ten, there would be some option for a larger carrier taking me out of the country.

Here's the thing about LAN:

1) it's basically the ONLY real option in Chile for national and ESPECIALLY international travel. Thus, they're basically a monopoly. That means their prices are always the most expensive. And since there are usually lack of other options, you are forced to pay exuberant prices.

2) they have the worst - THE WORST - online customer experience EVER. 8 times out of 10, you can't accomplish ANYTHING on the dumb site and when you call to figure it out with an actual person, they want to charge you for not having used their site in the first place.

3) their award travel is ridiculously hard to redeem and forget about MOLDING it into what you might need ... if you want to book a one-way flight anywhere, you simply can't. It will automatically charge you for an Round Trip flight, no matter what. Whereas American let's you do whatever the hell you please, so long as you have the miles to do it and if not, the $$$ to buy the miles to do it.

4) The flight attendants are stiff and overly made up. It's like talking to Mormon's and watching them flinch when you say something they don't like. They may bat their eyelashes a bit harder but their plastic smiles never waver. I'm sorry, but that freaks me out.

Now, of course, with the bad and the ugly comes the good:

1) Piggy backing off the flight attendant comment, I do commend them for having generally attractive flight attendants who aren't disgruntled and who aren't old enough to be my grandmother. While having flight attendants of ALL AGES is what I personally think would be best, they do have an extremely lopsided crew... leaning towards 35 and under. And also, Chile certainly isn't a monument for fights against age discrimination laws. In fact, I'm sure LAN's executive board is the one promoting the age range acceptance in job descriptions.

2) The planes are squeaky clean and very new. And they have TV's with a laundry list of movies (old and new) and TV Shows, as well as games and music. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up! It made my 17 hour flight go by entertainingly fast!

3) Free food and free alcohol on all flights. Enough said.

Yet despite these three oh-so-fabulous points, LAN remains a thorn in my side for so many reasons and most have to do with just being the only option you really have in Chile. I hate lack of options. Especially when I come from a country where I had a million airlines to choose from to get from Point A to Point B. And here I find myself with just LAN...just good ol' LAN. With their fake customer service and its circa 1999 website. Because they're the only option, they can't be bothered to fix their website, their travel award nuances and their scary, Valley-of-the-Dolls flight attendants.

And thus, I can't be bothered with coming up with more than three good points about them.

Also - side note - one of Chile's current presidential candidates used to be the President of Lan Chile. Is that good or is that bad given what I have just laid out for you here? Discuss.

Labels:


Comments:
i whole heartedly disagree with you. this airline kicks ass compared to nearly every other airline in the world. i am biased because we just started covering it so i've had to learn a shit load about it...and we put a buy on it so clearly think it's gong to do well...and about Lan and Pinera, i think that most companies he touch turn to gold. Lan's management in general has very high ratings...same management in place since 1993 (unheard of in airline industry)...because of the Cueto family mixing Lan passenger planes w/cargo, lan is also one of the MOST efficient airlines in the world in terms of how many hours their planes fly consistently. you were correct to point out that their fleet is young- one of the youngest in the world in fact. and i dont know why you think their website is bad...i think it's totally kick ass...their investor relations page is incredible w/everything in perfect English...(and if you want some comparaisons go online and take a look at, say, eva air's website and tell me if you see anything in ENglish...or any sort of financial information...Lan is 100% transparent..that goes for their fuel surcharge policy which is right smack dab on their website unlike most carriers who just charge you if fuel prices go through the roof...GO LAN!
 
I have to agreen with Kem. I love Lan. And they have the highest and strictest safety standards in South America, and someone even told me, one of the highest in the world. I've had great service and an overall pleasant experience everytime I've flown with them. But then again, that's only my personal experience.
 
I've never tried doing award travel with LAN, but that sounds a lot harder than American. Then again, for normal flight purchases I haven't had problems with their website. Maybe it just recognizes your IP address and hates you :)

I DEFINITELY miss Southwest though! We're flying Pluna to Uruguay next weekend, and if you have time for a layover they'll get you to Buenos Aires cheaper than LAN (5 hrs total travel time). They have pretty good reviews too. But with Aerolineas holding strong as the worst airline in the world (delays, cancellations, just awful) and Gol always leaving late (and lying about it when you call to ask what time your suegra is getting into SCL so that your suegro doesn't have to wait for hours at the airport in the middle of the night), there aren't too many great alternatives.

I think LAN is objectively a good airline, but a little budget airline competition never hurt anyone, right?
 
I stand by my opinion. Sorry. I deal with Lan because I have to living here. Also, I can def agree on their high points. But their bad points are many, namely their website. Bad, bad, and worse, each time I try to use it.
 
I think Lan is a great airline, in fact Airbus has catalogued as the world's top operator for some models, besides Lan has won 3 times consecutive "best airline for southamerica and caribe" award.

P.S.: Sorry for my english
 
That's so funny that you say that, on our way to Argentina Seba and I were just talking about how much we love Lan. I've only ever used points to buy flights twice and neither time had a problem, and I've definitely never had a problem with the website.

Plus, once in Miami, right after Seba and I thought we were going to have our lives ended in Costa Rica on Taca Airlines, I was so freaked out about flying that I was having a panic attack and didn't want to board the airplan. The Lan flight attendants introduced me to the pilots and the pilots were really nice and answered all of my questions about crap that I was scared of. That really impressed me.

And I've had nothing but nightmares with both American and Delta!
 
Oh guys, don't get me wrong, I only TRULY commend American for their Award Travel and AAdvantage Program (seriously TOP NOTCH)...but again, feel the need to point out that LAN isn't my fave either.
Do I have a fave? Probably not... but for different reasons, tengo que destacar different airlines.
LAN just isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Maybe I try to do more than the normal on their website, but I kid you not, 8 times out of 10, whatever it is I'm trying to do, can't be done with them.
 
What about American? I always buy tix on American because their Santiago-Miami flight is $50-$80 cheaper than LAN. And I'm always stoked when they put me on LAN, because of the pros you mention. Plus I like the ear plugs and eye mask.

I've also had problems with Lan's website. Last summer, I tried to buy tix to Iquique and could not do it on the website. I finally went to the Lan office to pay and turns out that between my husband and I we'd reserved like 6 sets of tix to Iquique because the website wouldn't let us pay online. The lan website valía callampa.
 
Hahah I just read this post (linked from Kyle's) which is why I'm just now commenting. My brother-in-law runs the LAN website. I'm forwarding him the link :)
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]