This Page

has been moved to new address

My cabby can beat up your cabby...and other findings

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Notes from Underneath: My cabby can beat up your cabby...and other findings

Notes from Underneath

A California girl in Chilsters (that's Chile to you)

Thursday, August 6, 2009

 

My cabby can beat up your cabby...and other findings

Today I stepped out of my "office" to have lunch with K (take another bow, as this is your THIRD cameo on my blog) and to avoid another fight with Santiago (the city) I opted to take a cab to her office. I already had a fight with Stgo earlier this week and I really want to avoid getting all cranky pants at him, especially around the dreadful topic of parking in the city. It's a nightmare. You thought SF or NY was bad? Try Santiago where 7+ million of their total 16 million inhabitants live in the city. In short, the car to parking spot ratio is dire. So, I avoided driving so as not to have another fall out with the city as I did on Monday.
Except my cab driver cut another cab driver off at some point in the route and when we were about 2.2 seconds from where I had to hop out, the cab that my driver had cut off pulled up next to us at the light. Thus began the insults back and forth:

Cabby #1 (the one who was cut off): You need to put your blinker on, old man. You totally cut me off!
Cabby #2: No I didn't. You were going that other way and I was going straight.
Cabby#1: No, that's not how it happened. You just need to use that blinker and stop driving like an a**hole.
Cabby #2: Oh, I'm the a**hole? You need to be quiet and just keep driving. You're just way ahead of yourself and driving too fast. (which, incidentally, can I just point out that one cabby saying that to another is SO ironic...)
Cabby #1: Where did you get your license? Stay out of my way, old man!

At this point, the light changes and I can literally SEE the bldg where I'm supposed to meet K, all the while these two cab drivers continue to yell insults at each other as we're driving! All I want to do is GET OUT OF THE CAB as I was pretty sure that guns were going to soon come out blazing. Oh no. That's not how it's done here in Chile... instead, they each swerved TOWARDS each other and away from each as if to scare one another into thinking that they were going to get hit. But the thing is that it was done with such synchronization that neither of them hit the other one and it was done as a show of muscle. Fluffing of feathers, if you will. I, of course, was thrown about inside my cab, hit my elbow and ended up with my purse on the other side of the passenger seat. In the end though, he stopped at the building, I paid my $1200 pesos, thanked him, wished him a nice day and stepped out.
Ahhhhh... all in a day's work!

So that was today's misadventure. But what I wanted to provide here is a short view of some things I've kept mental note of since I moved in with G almost a week ago.

Some things I find quite interesting/peculiar and/or sometimes cute:

And finally (for today) -
Ok I'm just kidding on that happy hour take a number thing... but I bet it's not that far off from reality SOMEWHERE in this narrow country...

Comments:
A very old Chilean woman once told me that if I used tampons I would lose my virginity. So I think that may be some kind of old myth still floating around with the older generation that influences the lack of tampons. But yeah, it definitely sucks!
 
Looks like you may be ordered a steady supply of tampons, paper towels, and dryer sheets from the Internet. Wait. . .they DO have the internet, right? ; )
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]